Jun 25, 2012

Saving Souls in Seoul

So. I received my mission call, to the Korea Seoul Mission! Like holy cow. That is so not what I was expecting. I was thinking for sure church history visitor center, maybe South America. But it's absolutely perfect. My friend Heather B. was pestering me right before I opened it to just pick some guesses. Apparently "anywhere" wasn't good enough for her. My picks were Nauvoo Visitors Center, South America, South Africa, or South Korea. I figured if I didn't go to a church history site, I'd love to speak Spanish (fully and fluently) and I happen to geek out about South African history and Korean history. Like holy cow though, I didn't think in a million years I'd be flying to the other side of the globe to speak an Asian language.

There's even more irony to this call though. Steph's best friend growing up, Rachel, who lived across the street, was adopted from Korea after her parents served as the mission president and mission mom there.

And the apartment complex I work at and live in right now will be hosting like 40 Korean exchange students starting this week.

And as a ward missionary, one of our investigators right now is from Korea!

BUT IT GETS BETTER.

So remember this post? Probably not. I'll refresh your memory. Last Fall semester I randomly took a Modern Korean History class just for fun. I LOVED it, but it was one of the hardest classes I'd taken because I knew nothing about Korea before taking it. I also happened to be the only person in the class wasn't either a Korean or a Korean-speaking returned missionary. Well guess who'll be learning the language, loving the people, and sharing the love of God and His gospel in Korea!

Really at the time, that class was giving me ulcers, I even regretted taking it after the damage it worked on my GPA, but now I see it as a tender mercy. I may not know the language and can't pretend to understand the culture yet, but at least I know something of their history!

2 comments:

Teresa W said...

I don't think I have heard you use the work 'like' so many times in one setting. Ah! You are already losing your ability to speak English! I can't wait for when you get back :)

Stephanie said...

Congrats! It is the perfect place for you. I can't imagine a better suited mix of culture and history. I am so excited!