Aug 24, 2011

Hike to the Summit

After only 2 days of classes so far, I LOVE MY JOB!!!
I love the students. I do have to remind them to keep their language clean and respectful. I also have a new rule "No War Stories." Gang affiliations and bragging about criminal pasts are not part of our math curriculum and don't make for a positive learning environment. The shocker is that they actually listen to me! That may wear off as we get further into the year, but for now there's some respect in there.

Favorite snippets: 

One kid asked me before class, "If you go to BYU does that mean you're religious?"

On Wednesdays we are supposed to push reading, no matter our subject. I was surprised that these kids have done some good reading already. We discussed some quotes about reading, and it was a really good discussion. Like really good. They even had some good book suggestions for me.

I know that things will get really hard, but I instantly love all my students, even the punks. To be honest, they are really awesome and have real character potential.

I feel like our school emblem perfectly describes the challenges of faculty and students in overcoming huge obstacles to succeed:



No comments: